To find out the Indigenous languages around you, visit the AIATSIS map of Indigenous Australia! You can also discover more with the interactive Gambay map made by First Languages Australia and regional language centres; have a listen to some Indigenous community members’ experience with their language.
Here are some links to language courses in your state, as well as some online courses. You can also visit the list of language centres across Australia compiled by Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity (RNLD).
If you know of others that you think should be added, please let us know!
New South Wales
- Graduate Certificate in Wiradjuri Language, Culture and Heritage, Charles Sturt University.
- Language programs in public schools supported by NSW Department of Education, including Bundjalung, Gamilaraay, Gumbaynggirr, North West Wiradjuri and Paakantji Baakintji Language and Culture Nests.
- Learning an Indigenous Australian Language, Australian National University.
- Charles Darwin University offers language courses Learning a Central Australian Language 1 & 2, a range of courses for Yolŋu languages and culture, and degrees including Associate Degree of Indigenous Languages and Linguistics, Bachelor of Indigenous Languages and Linguistics and Diploma of Indigenous Language Work.
- Study on an Australian Aboriginal Language, the University of Queensland.
- Certificate III for Kaurna and Ngarrindjeri, Tauondi Aboriginal College.
- Pitjantjatjara Language and Culture, University of South Australia.
- Reclaiming Languages: a Kaurna Case Study, the University of Adelaide.
- YouTube channel Kaurna Warra Pintyanthi – Kaurna Language Learning Series supported by the University of Adelaide.
- Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages (VACL) runs language programs for Taungurung, Wathaurong, WayWurru & Dhudhuroa, South West Aboriginal, and Boonwurrung, as well as school language programs.
- An online course of Noongar Language and Culture coordinated by Curtin University.
- Miriwoong language classes for the community offered by Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre.
- Wajarri language classes offered by Bundiyarra Aboriginal Community Aboriginal Corporation.
- Walalangga Yawuru Ngang-ga language program (2 years) for Yawuru adults offered by Mabu Yawuru Ngan-ga language centre at Nyamba Buru Yawuru.